The Qualities That Matter to You
Lower Environmental Impact
The effectiveness of DCOI at lower retentions translates to fewer chemicals overall in the environment.
DCOI is non-persistent in the soil and breaks down readily into harmless compounds.
Compared to other materials such as steel or concrete, DCOI treated UltraPole NXT poles and UltraArm NXT crossarms use less energy, fossil fuels and water; while producing less acid rain, eco-toxicity, and greenhouse gases.
DCOI is not a restricted use pesticide.
At the end of life, instead of disposing in increasingly restrictive and expensive landfills, UltraPole NXT poles and UltraArm NXT crossarms have a wider range of disposal options.
Performance and Standards
Twenty-eight years of field data conducted by a leading utility industry research group and university show that the UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT provide effective protection against wood destroying organisms. Long-term stake tests indicate performance that is superior to the most common oil-borne pole treatment while using much lower amounts of preservative. Dr. G. L. Willingham with the Rohm and Haas Company, presented to the AWPA in 1999, data from a Mississippi State University test which showed that “DCOI (RH287) is approximately seven times more effective than pentachlorophenol after 14 years exposure in the Dorman test plot”, and later says that “it is approximately ten times as effective as pentachlorophenol when the treated wood is exposed above ground.”
DCOI has been standardized as a wood preservative by the AWPA since 1989, and ground contact uses were added in 2017. AWPA currently lists DCOI in the P-39 standard. Standardization continues today, with data packages submitted in 2017 supporting preservative retentions that are one-third of those for pentachlorophenol.
The Active Ingredient – DCOI
DCOI, the active ingredient in UltraPole NXT AND UltraArm NXT earned the EPA’s Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award in 1996 for its use as an alternative to tributyltin (TBT) compounds in marine anti-fouling coatings.
DCOI’s formulation is 4,5-Dichloro-2-N-Octyl-4-Isothiazolin-3-One.
DCOI is used in, and currently sold as:
a marine antifoulant
an algaecide for cooling towers
a wood preservative fungicide/insecticide component in the AWPA standardized EL2 formulation used for Ecolife® treated wood.
DCOI is very effective when used as a fungicide/bactericide for in-can paint formulations.
Pole hardware that is suitable for penta and CCA poles are also suitable for UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT.
50-Year Limited Warranty
UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT are the only oil-borne wood pole and crossarm preservatives in the industry with a warranty. Viance confidently warrants UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT against structural damage caused by termites and decay for 50 years.
- UltraPole™ NXT is an oil-borne preservative that makes poles easy to climb.
- The active ingredient in UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT, DCOI, is not a Restricted Use Pesticide and is not persistent in soil.
- UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT have low to no odor.
- UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT use less energy, fossil fuels, and water to produce; with lower ecotoxicity than other materials used in poles.
- UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT have a wider range of disposal options at the end of life.
- DCOI, the active ingredient in UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT, earned the EPA’s President’s Green Chemistry Challenge Award in 1996 for its use as an alternative to tributyltin (TBT) compounds in marine antifoulant coatings.
- DCOI is also the active ingredient in Ecolife®, the best performing, non-metal based, above-ground residential deck preservative on the market.
- DCOI is also used in water treatment, paints and coatings, adhesives, vinyl roof membranes, vinyl flooring, marine upholstery, outdoor furniture and shower curtains for example.
- DCOI is stable and leach resistant.
- DCOI is effective against wood decay fungi and termites.
- Standardized by the American Wood Protection Association (AWPA)
- UltraPole NXT and UltraArm NXT are the only oil-borne wood pole and crossarm preservative in utility infrastructure with a 50-year warranty.
- Perfect for industrial wood pole and crossarm applications in all ground contact decay hazard zones
- Crossarms – both Southern yellow pine and Douglas fir
- Utility poles – Southern yellow pine, Douglas fir and red pine
- Barn poles – Southern yellow pine
- Posts (guardrail and fence) – Southern yellow pine